Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ramadan

Yesterday, the 22nd of August, was the first day of Ramadan: the Islamic month of fasting from dawn to dusk from all the body pleasures like food, drinks, smoking and sex. In Malaysia Islam is the official religion and about 60% of the population practice it.
Hisham (my other "dad") is a muslim so fasting started also in our household. After asking lot of questions and doing some research in internet I decided to join the fasting experience. Not because I would be turning into muslim but to test out my own strength of will. Perhaps the fasting will teach me more about the "patience, modesty and spirituality" and in all it seems like healthy thing to try for a healthy young adult like me. But I cannot give up drinking the water so I am not completely following the rules. 
Fasting month is not only about fasting but also about breaking the fast after seven o'clock when sun has come down. I was invited to join the start-of-the-Ramadan-celebration-dinner with Hisham's family. The pictures are from there. Lavish dinner was served and even if I did not have lunch that day I surely doubled the amount of food eaten daily during the dinner. But it was exquisite!
P.S. He is the wise Uncle of the household.

2 comments:

  1. Hope that you can testify your hope that is unseen to them too!
    From: www.themissingsteps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elli!
    Oh no! food... It looks delicious and am sure a big eater like me will definately enjoy it too :-).

    Good that you have experienced that part of the culture also. As you know some of our kids and workers here are muslim and they follow the Ramadan. Unfortunately I have not tried it yet and may be I could follow your example.

    Keep up the good work and will talk to you later.

    malo
    sam

    ReplyDelete